EPISODE 5: Scilla Elworthy
The Business Plan for Peace
Is peace really possible? Is there a business plan for peace? How can we all help reduce conflict in our workplace, community, home and even inside ourselves? What is the role of our ego in conflict-situations and arguments? How can I find my true path in life and reconnect with my own inner guidance system? These are some of the questions we will answer in Episode 5 with three-times Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Dr. Scilla Elworthy.
Scilla has spent her entire life building peace and working with leaders in high-pressure conflict zones all around the world. In this Episode, she shares her wisdom from a lifetime of preventing war and violence and offers fascinating stories from the frontlines that we can all learn from. Scilla offers concrete tools to help us all identify who we really are, become better leaders, connect with our own inner wisdom and combat the desire for revenge we may all have experienced.
This episode will bring you hope, concrete tools, inspiration and… goosebumps.
WHAT WE WILL COVER:
- What you can do to build peace and reduce conflict everywhere
- Tools for communicating with people whom you violently disagree with – a conflict resolution tool successfully taught to CEOs as well as children
- How to nourish empathy and enable understanding between people to dissolve conflict
- Why the root cause of all violence and conflict is humiliation and how to better acknowledge your own role in conflicts
- How to turn a tense meeting or negotiation around and create a more constructive and pleasant atmosphere
- If we succeed in building peace, what’s in it for the companies who are currently benefitting massively from war?
- How to become aware of your own ego, when it’s in charge in an unhealthy way and its role in all conflicts
- How to find your life path and connect with your inner guidance system
- Creating efficient and pleasant meetings and negotiations through meeting human to human – not ego to ego
- How can we tell the difference between the voice of intuition and the ego’s desire?
- How to inspire leaders to live a life with purpose and compassion
“One of the root causes of war and conflict is humiliation. Respect is the fastest antidote to humiliation. To show someone a gesture of respect, immediately diffuses a war between you.”
“You’re clearly a gifted leader but what is it really you want to accomplish in the world? What is it that really makes you feel when you’re older you have given a great gift to your country, your community – what would you be really proud of? What’s the closest thing to your heart’s fulfillment that you can imagine you could do? It’s these questions that most leaders don’t have time or the inclination to ask themselves.”
ABOUT SCILLA ELWORTHY
Three times Nobel Peace Prize nominee for her work with Oxford Research Group to develop effective dialogue between nuclear weapons policy-makers worldwide and their critics. She founded Peace Direct (2002) to fund, promote and learn from local peace- builders in conflict areas and co-founded Rising Women Rising World (2013), and FemmeQ (2016). Scilla was awarded the Niwano Peace Prize in 2003 and was adviser to Peter Gabriel, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Sir Richard Branson in setting up ‘The Elders’. Her latest book The Business Plan for Peace: Building a World Without War (2017) and her book Pioneering the Possible: awakened leadership for a world that works (North Atlantic Books, 2014) received critical acclaim from experts in the field. Her TED talk on nonviolence has been viewed by over 1,130,000 people.